The Ministry of Mines and Geology launches the Responsible Mineral Development Initiative (RMDI) Roundtable
Guinea pre-selected to host the African Minerals Development Centre (AMDC)
Posted on 25 Mar 2016 – Press release of the Ministry of Mines and Geology
- Guinea has been pre-selected with Kenya, Mali, Zambia and Sudan to host the African Minerals Development Centre (AMDC).
- Guinea, an official candidate since October 2015, was pre-selected after a review conducted by an assessment mission of the African Union (AU). In visit in Conakry from March 13th to March 18th 2016, the AU assessment mission was composed of five experts and chaired by Hassan Houssein.
- The AMDC is an initiative of the AU Commission, with the support of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) and the African Development Bank.
- The mission of the AMDC is to work with member States and their national and regional organisations to promote the transformative role of mineral resources in the development of the continent through increased economic and social linkages.
- A key objective of the Centre is to ensure that Africa’s interests and concerns in this lucrative sector are properly articulated and internalized throughout the continent, for the benefit and prosperity of all.